1915: Wali khan was born in the house of Baacha Khan and Meherqanda, the
daughter of Yar Muhammad Khan of Rajar in December 1915.
1918: Wali Khan mother Meherqanda was died.
1919: Wali Khan father Baacha Khan married for the second time.
1922: Wali Khan was admitted in to his father own established, Azad Islamia High
School. Wali khan was considered among the first student of this school.

1922: Wali Kahn father, Baacha Khan was arrested for the first time. Wali
khan took active part in his father release campaign.
1927: Wali khan act the elder brother role in the stage drama of Abdul Akabar
Khan ‘Dre Yatemanan’ (three orphaned). The drama was staged in the annual
convocation of Azad Islamia High School founded by his father Baach Khan.
1929: Wali Khan starts taking active part in the Khudai Khidmatgar movement for
the first time.
1930: In the month of May British army attack on Utmanzai village. A British
army soldier try to stab Wali khan from the back with his bayonet but in the
meantime a native soldier named Sher Khan came forward and took the bayonet on
his own hand. Thus Wali Khan was near to killed but was escaped.
1931: Wali was admitted by the British wife of Dr. Khan sahib in Deradoon public
school, U.P for higher education. The school was run by the government of
1933: Wali Khan completed his senior Cambridge from Deradoon School and didn’t
start his further education due to eyes problem.
1933: Wali Khan came back to his home town, Utmanzai from U.P and took the whole
responsibility of household on his own shoulders because his father Baacha Khan
was arrested and imprisoned for three years.
1935: Baacha Khan wrote a letter from Bareli jail to Wali Khan. In that letter
Baacha Khan show his happiness that how well Wali Khan took the household
1938: Gandhi visited NWFP. Wali Khan accompanied Gandhi in his entire visit
because he drives the vehicle.
1942: Wali Khan starts his political career as a Khudai Khidmatgar. He took the
oath of Khudai Khidmatgar movement on the hand of garneel (general) ziarati kaka
in Utmanzai unit of Khudai Khidmatgar organization.
1942: Wali Khan was sent for the first time by Salar-e-Azam Amin Jan to Kohat
district with comrades Fida Mohammad of Rajar and Master Abdul Karim of Utmanzai.
The task was given to them to raise the masses against the British government
both in Kohat and Karak.
1943: In January Wali Khan participated for first time in the civil disobedience
movement against British government. He was arrested under section 40 of FCR and
was imprisoned for three years. He was sent to Dera Ismail Khan Jail and later
transferred to Abbottabad jail where his father was also imprisoned. During jail
Wali Khan once again face problem with his eyes. Walis father Baacha Khan
appealed to the government to release Wali khan for his proper eye treatment
which was accepted by the government. On his release his father Baacha khan
advised him:
‘the Government has released you for the treatment of your eye. Even if you get
well, do not participate in any anti-Government movement till the expiry of the
term of your imprisonment’.
1945: The NWFP Provincial Parliamentary Board decided to give ticket to Wali
Khan for the only ‘Imperial legislative Council Seat’ for NWFP. Wali Khan
refused and the ticket was given to Wali’s elder brother Abdul Ghani Khan.
1946: The Provincial parliamentary board of NWFP once again offers the ticket
for the same seat but Wali Khan refused once again and said that ‘I m too young
and it was for the senior leaders’.
1947: Wali Khan became the formal member of All Indian National Congress for the
first time.
1947: Wali Khan became the Provincial joint secretary of Congress in NWFP. He
retained both the office till the creation of Pakistan.
1947: Wali Khan married with Tajoo bibi.
1948: On 15th June, Wali Khan was arrested with his father Baacha Khan, elder
brother Ghani Khan, his uncle and former chief minister of NWFP, Dr. Khan Sahib,
Amir Mohammad khan Hoti and Qazi attaullah. They were arrested for the reason
that they were against the creation of Pakistan and support the creation of
Pukhtunistan. They were also declared traitors and enemies of Islam. They were
sent to jail without any trail and their properties were confiscated. Among all
those, wali khan was more affected because all his property includes his house
in which he was lived was confiscated. The police took away every thing which
they found in his house. Even the perambulator of his infant daughter, named
parveen, was taken and she was thrown on the ground.
1949: Wali Khan wife Tajoo bibbi was died on 14 February while giving birth to
twins. One of the twins is died with his mother. The surviving son was Asfandyar
Wali Khan, the present Central President of Awami National Party. He was taken
by his maternal grandmother and took the responsibility of child upbringing.
1949: Wali Khan received the sad news of his beloved wife death in jail. He was
released on one month parole. After completion of one month period he was
transferred from Haripur jail to notorious Mach jail, Baluchistan.
1950: In November Wali Khan and Qazi Attaullah was transferred to Sibbi jail,
Baluchistan. In Sibbi jail both Wali Khan and Qazi attaullh file a petition
against their illegal detention. The hearing was held in the court of judicial
commissioner but both petitions were rejected.
1951: In May, Wali khan was transferred to Quetta jail.
1952: Due to hotness in Quetta jail, Wali Khan health was affected and in May he
was transferred from Quetta jail to Dera Ismail Khan jail.
1952: The government kept Wali Khan and other khudai Khidmatgar in Jail for
indefinite period, their period was extended from time to time. But in D.I. Khan
Jail the term of Wali khan imprisonment was expired on 8th December, 1952. This
time no fresh order was issued to extend his period of imprisonment. So Wali
khan files a petition to judicial commissioner but was rejected again. Wali Khan
lawyers, advocate Arbab Sikandar Khan Khalil and the famous lawyer and
politician Mehmood Ali Kasuri appeal free of charges in the Federal court.
1953: on 14th November Federal court accepts his appeal.
1953: Wali Khan was released in the last week of November from Haripur jail
after passing five years five months and five days in jail.
1953: Wali Khan became active in Politics and start struggle for the release of
his father and other Khudai Khidmatgars.
1953: Wali khan met with NWFP chief Minister Sardar Abdul Rasheed Khan to make a
way for his father release. The C.M assured all sort of help in release of
Baacha Khan and other Khudai Khidmatgar.
1953: With the curtsy of Sardar Shaukat Hayat Wali khan met with Federal
Interior Minister Mushtaq Ahmed Gurmani in Lahore. Through his courtesy Wali met
his father Baacha Khan in Rawalpindi jail. He got permission from his father to
talk with federal government regarding his and other Khudai Khidmatgar release.
1953: Wali Khan met with Prime Minister Mohammad Ali Bogra to talk with him
regarding his father and other Khudai Khidmatgar release. Mohammad Ali Bogra
impress from Wali Khan character and offer a ministry in his own cabinet.
1953: Wali Khan met with Governor general General Ghulam Mohammad.
1954: Wali Khan efforts bore fruits because government release Baacha Khan and
other Khudai Khidmatgar on 1st January and return all confiscated properties to
their owner.
1954: Wali Khan married for the second time with the daughter of a famous Khudai
Khidmatgar, Amir Mohammad Khan of Hoti, Nasim on 22nd November. The Nikah
ceremony was performed by Baach Khan. The Baraat was taken to a rest house at
attock near Indus river because the government bane the entry of Baacha khan in
NWFP. The aim behind the second marriage to up bring the three children left by
his first wife, two daughters Parveen and Nasreen and a son Asfandyar Khan.
1954: One Unit system was made. Baacha Khan were very vocal against One Unit
system. Wali Khan were also against the one unit and struggled against the
1956: Kuhdai Khidmatgar organization was declared illegal. Baacha Khan contacted
the like minded nationalist politicians like G. M. Sayed of Sindh Mahaz, Haider
Bakhsh Jatoi of Hari committee, Abdul Samad Khan Achakzai, Astman Gul, Mian
Iftikar-ud-Din of Azad Pakistan Party and Mian Mehmood Qasuri. They merged into
progressive and Nationalist party named ‘Pakistan National Party’.
1956: Wali Khan join the Pakistan National Party.
1957: The Pakistan largest opposition party, Awami League split in to two
components suharwardi and Bashani groups. The Bashani’s group starts negation
with Pakistan National Party for a combined one party. On 23rd July at combined
convention at Dhaka both parties merged in to a single party by the name of
National Awami party.
1958: Ayub Khan imposed martial law in the country. Baacha khan his son Wali
khan and his NAP were against the Ayub martial law. Baacha Khan was arrested
illegally. Wali khan and NAP start campaign against the illegal arrest of Baacha
Khan despite the fact that he wasn’t linked with any party. The military
government arrests the party workers and sends them to jail for indefinite
period. Wali khan were not arrested because at that time Wali khan neither have
any party post nor he was involved in any politics.
1958: Ayub Khan policies regarding NAP workers compel Wali khan to take active
part in politics. He was appointed as a provincial president for some time in
the absence of Arbab Sikandar khan Khalil.
1958: Wali Khan starts his campaign against the Ayub government. He tour the
whole NWFP province and raised the masses against Ayub government. He compelled
the government to release the NAP leaders and workers. He was successful in his
mission because government released the arrested leaders and workers of NAP.
1964: Ayub Khan announced presidential election. Ayub khan asked for support
from Wali khan and in response he offer a ministry in his Cabinet to him but
Wali Khan not only refused but decide to support his opponent candidate Ms.
Fatima Jinnah, sister of Quaid-e-Azam.
1964: Miss Fatima Jinnah give the task that Wali Khan supervised the
presidential election campaign in NWFP and promised that if she won, a seat will
be given to Wali Khan in her Cabinet.
1968: Wali Khan was appointed as a president of National Awami party to replace
Maulan Bashani, because he himself claim that he support Ayub Khan in
presidential election on
1968: Wali Khan toured both East and West wings of Pakistan. During his visit to
East Pakistan he came to know about the feelings of Bengalis regarding West
Pakistan. They considered that West Pakistan was responsible for all the
miseries and troubles.
1968: Wali Khan was arrested in a blame of attack on President Ayub Khan in
Peshawar on 13 November and sent to Sahiwal jail.
1969: All the political parties including National Awami Party of Wali Khan form
a joint alliance by the name of ‘Democratic Action Committee’ against Ayub Khan
to get rid of him. The aim of Committee to held fresh elections, release the
detained politicians and left ban on the political parties.
1969: To overcome on the crises Ayub Khan call a round table conference with
political parties but they boycott the conference and demanded for the release
of detained politicians.
1969: In March all the detained politicians were released including Wali Khan
but Sheikh Mujeeb-ur-Rehamn, of Awami league from East Pakistan wasn’t released.

1969: Wali Khan suggested that till the release of Mujeeb-ur-Rehman they can’t
participate in the round table and Ayub government release Mujeeb.
1969: Wali khan met with Ayub Khan and asked for restoration of democracy in the
country. Ayub Khan promised and try to restore democratic government in the
country but can’t succeeded.
1969: Second martial law was imposed in the country on 25th March and another
Army chief Yahya Khan became the chief martial law administrator.
1969: Yahya Khan after became the chief martial law administrator first met with
Wali Khan. He informed Yahya Khan that wrong policies of the previous government
affect the Pakistan in general and Pukhtuns in particular especially the One
Unit scheme.
1969: Due to the efforts of Wali khan, Yahya Khan break the One Unit system on
28th November and give full provincial status to Baluchistan. Yahya Khan also
agree with Wali khan suggestion regarding Elections on adult franchise basis
that’s why he announced the election on adult franchise basis.
1970: Wali khan was the first politician from West Pakistan who visited East
Pakistan to show sympathy with the flood and famine affected masses of East
Pakistan. He stayed there for twelve days.
1970: Wali Khan was also the first politician from West Pakistan who give
tickets to 49 candidates of his own National Awami Party. He also visited East
Pakistan for Election campaign.
1970: Wali Khan won both National and Provincial assembly seats from their home
district Charsadda on the ticket of his own party National Awami Party.
1971: To form a United front against Awami League of East Pakistan, Zulfiqar Ali
Bhutto of Pakistan Peoples Party from West Pakistan came to Charsadda to meet
Wali Khan for cooperation but Wali Khan refused and asked him ‘that the real
forum for discussing and solving the constitutional issues was Assembly and if
those issues were solved out side then what is the importance of elections’. He
viewed that Mujeeb-ur-Rehamn of Awami league is the future Prime minister of the
country. On this Bhutto threaten that if Wali khan didn’t support him against
Awami league he will boycott the scheduled assembly session. Wali khan informed
him the dangerous consequences of such a step.
1971: Wali Khan proceeds to London for his medical treatment.
1972: Yaha Khan, the second martial law administrator, contacted Wali Khan in
London and requests him that he returned back to the country as soon as
possible. Wali Khan cut short his stay at London and dashed to Karachi and then
to Dhaka where he met with Sheikh Mujeeb of Awami League to discuss the country
situation. Wali khan was nearer to succeed to bring Mujeeb on a table of talk
with the government. But in the meantime Yahya Kha, on the instigation of his
advisors, ordered military operations to normalize the law and order situation
in East Pakistan. This ended the chances of any political compromise. Wali Khan
with his fellow politicians had to return to West Pakistan in utter
1971: Wali Khan declares the army action in East Pakistan unlawful and dangerous
for the country unity.
1971: Yahya khan banned the Wali Khan National Awami Party on 26th November.
1971: The first civil martial law administrator, Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto remove the
ban on Wali’s National Awami Party in his first address to the nation on 21st
December after the disaster of East Pakistan.
1972: Wali Khan welcomed the Bhutto government because he appeal to the other
political parties that they support him in solving the problems.
1972: Wali Khan signed an agreement with Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto. The agreement is
known as ‘Tripartite Agreement’. According to the agreement Mr. Bhutto should
remove martial law from the country and try to brought back democracy in the
country. On other hand Wali Khan National Awami Party should make a coalition
government with Jamiat-ul-Ulama-i-Islam in NWFP and Baluchistan.
1973: Due to intense pressure from US and other European countries, Bhutto start
his struggle to dissolve the coalition government of NAP and
Jamiat-ul-Ulama-e-Islam. Despite this Bhutto himself was jealous of Wali khan
famous and that’s why his party loss fame in both NWFP and Baluchistan. For this
purpose Bhutto introduce Abdul Qayyum khan, the old rival of Wali Khan in the
federal cabinet as an interior minister. After that he dissolve the coalition
government of Baluchistan illegally. On this the NWFP coalition government led
by Mufti Mehmood resigns in protest.
1973: To stop Bhutto form doctoral policies all parties appoint Wali Khan as the
leader of opposition in the National Assembly.
1973: Wali Khan was also appointed the president of United Democratic Front
which was formed by all the political parties against the dictator government
policies of Bhutto government.
1973: Wali Khan helps Bhutto in framing 1973 constitution. Wali khan has the
credit of including the provincial autonomy in the constitution.
1973: In March PPP workers fired on the United Democratic meeting in Liaqat Bagh,
Rawalpindi, in which more than twenty workers of NAP were killed but Wali khan
was safe.
1975: On February 7th NWFP Governor Khayat Muhammad Khan Sherpao was
assassinated in a bomb blast while addressing an oath taking ceremony in History
deportment, University of Peshawar. The government accused Wali khan and his
comrades for the blast.
1975: Wali khan was arrested on 8th February, while he was way to Peshawar from
Lahore to attend the funeral of Khayat Sherpao. He was send to Pindi Jail first
then transfers to Sahiwal and at last transferred to Hyderabad Jail.
1975: Government banned the NAP on 10th February and declared it an unlawful
body. Government not only banned the NAP but the praty offices were closed and
party important record were seized or destroyed.
1975: Government establish a special tribunal inside the Hyderabad Jail to hold
trials of high treason cases against Wali Khan and his fifty eight or eighty
five friends. The case is famously known as the ‘Hyderabad Conspiracy Case’. The
main aim behind this was to banned Wali Khan and his party officially through
Apex Court.
1976: The first formal hearing of the case was started on 10th May. Government
presents 455 witnesses in the case. The government creating complication in the
trial by one or other way to prolong the case as much as possible.
1976: Wali khan appealed to the court against the too much time taken because
only twenty two witnesses were brought in to the court in eighteen months.
1977: Due to ban on National Awami Party, the workers gather under the
leadership of Begum Nasim Wali Khan, wife Wali Khan and laid the foundation of
‘National Democratic Party’ after consultation with Wali Khan. Sardar Sher Baz
Mazari, a renown politician from Sindh was appoint its first president and Begum
Nasim Wali its vice president.
1977: on July 5th General Zia-ul-Haq imposed martial law in the country. Zia
promise of holding elections within ninety days and also promised the
accountability of all the provincial government that’s why Wali khan for the
first time supports the zia martial law.
1977: Wali khan himself preferred his accountability in the military court
despite of civil courts because it took too much time.
1977: Zia after assuming power went himself to Hyderabad jail to meet with Wali
khan. He withdraw all the cases against Wali khan and his comrade.
1977: Wali khan was released in December.
1977: Khan Abdul Wali khan join the National Democratic Party. Sardar Sher baz
Mazari offer the party president ship but Wali khan refused.
1978: Wali khan criticizes the military government after delaying the election
twice. He also criticizes the Zia support to the Russian attack on Afghanistan.
1978: Zia government was in the crises because all the parties were against the
zia government. Zia offer the minister ship seat to Wali khan through a former
Governor of NWFP General Fazal-e-Haq to win support of Wali khan. But Wali khan
refused because he never though of getting power through backdoors and
unconstitutional way.
1978: Wali khan was the first politician who raised voice against zia policies
against the PPP leaders and workers. He request to all the political parties to
work together for the restoration of democracy in the country.
1981: In February a political alliance called ‘Movement for the Restoration of
Democracy’ (MRD) was formed against the zia government. Wali khan was appointed
its first convener.
1983: Wali Khan was appointed the president of National Democratic Party replace
Sardar Sher Baz Mazari.
1984: Wali khan with his wife Nasim Wali visited Kabul to met with his father
Baacha Khan.
1985: National Democratic Party under the president ship of Wali khan boycott
the 1985 non-parties general elections with MRD.
1985: On 26 December Wali Khan went to India with his father Baacha khan to
attend the centaury celebration of All India National Congress.
1986: In July a combined convention of country four Nationalist parties,
National Democratic Party (NDP), the Pakistan National Party (PNP), the Mazdoor
Kisan Party (Afzal Bangash group) and the Awami Tehreek held in Karachi. These
four parties merged into a single party named ‘Awami Nationational Party’. Wali
Khan was elected its first President.
1987: Wali khan elected president of Awami National Party for the second time.
1987: Wali khan book ‘Rehtiya Rehtiya di’ was published in Pashtu.
1987: Farooq Qreshi wrote a book on Wali khan in Urdu named, ‘Wali khan aur
1988: Wali Khan father Baacha Khan was died on 20th January.
1988: Awami National Party (ANP) participated in October general elections under
the president ship of Wali khan.
1988: Wali khan won the National assembly seat from his home constituency,
Charsadda, but loss provincial assembly seat to Amir Khusro of PPP.
1988: Wali Khan, ANP form a coalition government with Aftab Sherpao of PPP,
brother of former NWFP governor Khayat Muhammad Khan Sherpao in NWFP.
1988: ANP under the president ship of Wali Khan separated from coalition
government but he insist that the party support the PPP in the provincial
government. But later on he took a U-turn and support Muslim League which wasn’t
like by his party workers.
1990: Wali khan lost his home constituency seat to Maulana Hasan Jan, a joint
candidate of PPP and JUI.
1990: Wali Khan retired from parliamentary politics.
1991: Wali Khan was appointed as a ‘Rehbar-e-Tehreek’ of ANP by amending the
party manifesto.
1993: The first volume Wali Khan another book ‘Baacha Khan Au Khudai Khidmatgari’
was published in Pashtu.
1994: The second volume of Wali khan book ‘Baacha Khan Au Khudai Khidmatgari’
was published in Pashtu.
1998: The third volume of Wali Khan book ‘Baacha Khan Au Khudai Khidmatgari’ was
published in Pashtu.
1998: In May Wali Khan addressed to the rally at Jahangira, Nowshehra for the
last time. The rally was organized against the construction of Kalabagh Dam.
1999: In May Wali Khan book fourth volume of ‘Baacha Khan Au Khudai Khidmatgari’
was published in Pashtu.
2002: Wali Khan appears for the last time before the media on the behalf of his
own establish party, ANP.
2003: In November Wali Khan first book in Pashtu ‘Rehtya Rehtya di’ was
translated into English by the name of ‘Facts are Facts’.
2005: In March Wali khan was fell ill seriously.
2006: Wali khan was died on 26th January at 7: 15 A.M early in the morning.
2006: On 27th January Wali khan funeral prayer was led by famous Maulana
Sahib-e-Haq of Charsadda at Jinnah Park according to his wish.
2006: On 27th January Wali khan was buried in Wali Bagh according to his wish.