Khan Abdul Gaffar Khan


By Ihsanullah, Research scholar at Baacha Khan Research Center, Bacha Khan Markaz Peshawar

1889/90: Khan Abdul Gaffar Khan was born in the house of Behram khan at Utmanzai, Charsaada.

1896: He was admitted in village mosque to take lesson from the Mullah.
1898: He was admitted in Municipal Board high school Peshawar.
1901: Admitted in Edward Mission High school, Kohati gate Peshawar.         (E.F.E. Wigram was the headmaster at that time.)
1906: Refused Commission Guides- the most prestigious army corps in the royal British defence.

1908: Joined the Islamic School at Aligarh.
1909: Decided against study in England. 
1910: Open a mosque school at his hometown, Utmanzai with the assistance of Maulvi Abdul Aziz.
1911: Joined the reform movement of Haji Sahib of Turangzai.
1912: Married to Meharqanda, a daughter of Yar Muhammad Khan of Rajar.
1913: His first son Abdaul Ghani was born.
1913: Attended a meeting of Muslim League in Agra.
1914: On the invitation of Sheikh Mahmud-ul-Hasan went to Deoband with Maulvi Fazal Rabi and Maulvi Fazal Mahmud.
1914: Went to Bajaur to perform Chilla (Meditation in Seclusion).
1915: The British authorities banned his mission of mosque school at Utmanzai.
1915: In December second son Abdul Wali Khan was born.
1918: His first wife died in an epidemic.
1919: Started his political career with protest meeting against Rowalt Act.
1919: Arrested on charges of sedition. Released on the surety of Rs.30,000/.
1919: Married for the second time.
1920: Went to Delhi to attend the Khilafat conference.
1920:  Migrated to Kabul in the Hijrat movement.
1920: Provincial Khilafat Committee was reconstituted and Abdul Gaffar Khan was appointed as its president.
1920: Collected funds in Frontier Province for the Khilafat cause. The fund should be reserved for running the educational institutions in the Province that has been closed in 1915 by the Govt.
1921: He founded the “Anjuman-i-Islah-ul-Afghania” (Society for the reform of the Afghans). Abdul Akbar Khan was appointed the first president, the first Pushto dramatist, Mian Mohammad Shah, the Secretary and Muhammad Akbar Khan Khadim, the prolific poet.
1921:  He was arrested on December 17th and sentenced three years rigorus imprisonment under Sec. 40 F.C.R (Frontier Crime Regulation). The charges registered against him were that he took active part in Hijrat movement and the return setup of Azad School at Utmanzai.
1921: Refused the Govt. offer in jail brought by his elder brother, Dr. Khan Sahib and some other prominent Pushtoon leaders. The government offers that he was free to open the Azad schools but should stop the country side visits, he would be release.
1922: When he was in Jail his third son Abdul Ali Khan (the educationalist and Vice chancellor of University of Peshawar) was born from his second wife.
1923: His mother died when he was in Dera Ghazi Khan Jail.
1923: His elder brother Dr. Khan Sahib got his doctorate from Saint Thomas Hospital, London. In England he married with an English lady for the second time. From that English lady Dr. Khan Sahib have a son Jan Khan and a daughter Maryam. Maryam was married to a Sikh named Jaswant Singh.
1924: He was released from prison.
1924: On release from Jail, a Jirga at Utmanzai give him the title “Fakhr-e-Afghan” (Pride of Afghans).
1924: He visited extensively the whole Frontier Province to see the Azad schools run by the Khudai Khidmatgars.
1926: He went to Calcutta to attend the annual meeting of the All Indian National Congress about Tehreek-i-Khilafat.
1926: His father Behram Khan was died.
1926: Went to Mecca for performing Hajj with his second wife and elder sister.
1926: After performing Hajj, he with his wife visit to different places in Saudi Arabia, Palestine and etc. During his visit in Palestine his wife was died in Baith-ul-Muqaddas.
1928: After return from Hajj in May 1928, he starts the publication of monthly political journal “Pakhtoon” in Pashto language.
1928: He established a group of young people by the name of “Jawan-e-Subah Sarhad” (Youth league of Frontier Province). This league was later on changed into the famous movement “Khudai Khidmatgar” (Servants of God).
1928: Went to Calcutta with his colleagues to attend the Khilafat Conference. In Calcutta he met with Maulana Zafar Ali Khan, Dr. Muhammad Iqbal and Ali brothers to discuss the Frontier and Afghanistan situation.
1928: On 11 November he was appointed as a vice president of Frontier Provincial committee.
1929: He went to Lahore to attend the annual meeting of the congress, which demanded for the complete freedom of India.
1929: He went to Lucknow to attend the Congress meeting. During he met with Mahatma Ghandi and Jawahir Lal Nehru for the first time.
1929: He celebrated the victory of Kabul by Nadir Khan over Bacha-i-Saqao in Hashtnagar, along with Khudai Khidmatgars.
1929: He visited throughout the India to mobilize the support for the Pakhtoons stands over the Afghanistan issue.
1929: He reorganized the formal “Jawan-e-Subah Sarhad” (Youth league of Frontier Province) into a non political organization “Khudai Khidmatgar” (Servants of God). Later on the organization became a political organization due to the harsh policies of British Indian Govt. Abdul Gaffar Khan nomonate himself as “Salar-e-Azam” (Commander in Chief).
1929: He resigned from the president ship of Khilafat Committee because the body became anti-Congress.
1929: In September, he founded the political wing of Khudai Khidmatgar “Zalmo Jirga” (Youth league). Later on it was called the “Afghan Jirga” (Afghan league).
1929: On 18 and 19 April the first official meeting of Khudai Khidmatgar was convened at Utmanzai and about 200 red shirts attend the meting.  
1930: On April 23rd Abdul Gaffar Khan addressed a mass meeting at Utmanzai exhorting people to participate in civil disobedience movement.
1930: On 23rd April Abdul Gaffar Khan was arrested at Naki by the police under F.C.R (Frontier Crime Regulation) and imprisoned for three years with his colleagues.
1930:  On 23rd April the massacre of Kissa Khwani Bazaar take place in reply of arresting Bacha Khan arresting.
1930: On May 2nd the people of Frontier strike against the Govt.
1930: On May 13th the army besieged the Utmanzai to force the people to leave the Khudadi Khidmatgar movement.
1930: On May 28th the massacre of Takkar of district Mardan take place.
1930: During imprisonment Bacha Khan promised Congress that he and his Khudai Khidmatgars join the Congress if they can help them in their release from Jail.
1931: After one year imprisonment Bacha Kahn released with other Khudai Khidmatgars form Dera Gahzi Khan Jail under Ghandi-Irwin Pact.
1931: In March he went to Karachi with 100 Khudai Khidmatgars to attend the Congress meeting in which he was invited for the first time.
1931:  In April Bacha Khan went to Delhi to attend the Congress session.
1931: On June 9th Bacha Khan proceed with Ghandi to Bombay to attend the Working committee meeting.
1931: In July Devdas Ghandi, son of Mahatma Ghandi was reached to Peshawar to study the frontier situation carefully. He stayed with Bacha Khan at his home town Utmanzai.
1931: To limit the influence of Khudai KHidmatgar movement Govt. s
tart the Khaksar movement. Inayatullah Mashriqi, the head master of Govt. high school Peshawar was appoint as its first president.
1931: On July 30 the Chief Commissioner of frontier Province Sir Steuart Pears had an interview with Bacha Khan.
1931: On August 13th Bacha Khan went to Bombay to attend the All Indian National Congress meeting. It was decided that a new committee was open in the province by the name of Frontier Congress Committee or Frontier Province Jirga.
1931: On 25th August Bacha Khan went with Ghandi and Jawahir Lal Nehru to Simla for meeting with Viceroy.
1931: His movement was banned and arrested on 24th December from his home town Utmanzai and awarded three years rigorous imprisonment.
1934: On 17th August Baacha Khan undertook one week fast in sympathy with Ghandi fast.
1934: On 27th August Baacha Khan were released after three year imprisonment but his entry in Punjab and Frontier Province were banned.
1934: On 30th September Baacha Khan addressed in a public meeting at Calcutta on the Hindu Muslim unity.
1934: In Bombay he addressed a meeting which was classified as seditious. Due to that addressed he was arrested on 7th December from Wardah, United Province.
1936: In August he was released but his entry in the N.W.F.P and Punjab was still bane. He went again to Wardah and stayed with Ghandi.
1937: In February general election 1937 result was declared in which 19 seats win by Khudai Khidmatgar party out of 50 seats.
1937: In March Baacha Khan with Ghandi proceed to Delhi to attend the meeting of All Indian National Congress Committee.
1937: The bane on the entry of Baacha Khan in Frontier and Punjab was lifted on 26th August 1937.
1937: Baacha Khan and Ghandi left for Frontier on 15th October after 6 years exile. They were received by Wali Khan in Utmanzai.
1937: After return to the Frontier, Baacha Khan set out an extensive tour of the N.W.F.P and Baluchistan to reorganize the Khudai Khidmatgar movement.
1938: On May 1st Ghandi reached to Frontier Province on his 8 days visit.
1938: Abdul Gaffar Khan accompanied Ghandi to left for Calcutta to attend the Congress working committee meeting.
1938: Ghandi setout his second visit of one month to Frontier Province.
1938: Pakhtoon magazine was restarted.
1940: Abdul Gaffar Khan left for Ramgarh, Bihar in March to attend the annual session of All Indian National Congress.
1940: Abdul Gaffar Khan attends the Congress working Committee meeting in October. Full confidence was imposed on him for leading the civil obedience movement in N.W.F.P.
1941: On 23rd December Abdul Gaffar Khan went to Bardoli to attend the working committee meeting.
1941: Baacha Khan arranged the training camps for the Khudai Khidmatgars throughout the Frontier Province.
1942: Baacha Khan and Ghandi Both resign from all Indian National Congress and its working committee regarding its cooperation with the Govt. in the World War II.
1942: In July Baacha Khan established “Markaz-i-Ala-i-Khudai Khidmatgaran” (Main office of the Khudai Khidmatgars) at Sardaryab, 14 miles away from Peshawar.
1942: On October 27th Baacha Khan was arrested with 50 Khudai Khidmatgars when he was delivering a speech in Mirwaz Dheri, Mardan during Quite India Movement. Baacha Khan was beat by the police. His two ribs was broken and arrested send to Haripur Jail for two years rigorous imprisonment.
1945: On 14th March Dr.Khan Sahib accept Lord Cunningham invitation to form Congress ministry in the Frontier Province.
1945: On 17th March Baacha Khan and all the political were released under general amnesty announced by Lord Wavell.
1945: After three separation from Congress and its working committee Baacha Khan and Ghandi join it again in Bombay.
1945: On 25th June Baacha Khan and Dr. Khan Sahib attend the Wavell Conference at Simla as a Congress representative.
1946: Baacha Khan was elected as a member of Central Legislative Assembly of India.
1946: Baacha Khan left for Delhi, India in September to discussed matters related to the Indian interim Govt. with Ghandi.
1947: On April 22nd Baacha Khan addressed to the first Asian relation Conference.
1947: In May “Zalmai Pakhtoon” (Young Pakhtoon) was established by Baacha Khan under his own guidance headed by his elder son Ghani Khan (Liwany pholsophy).
1947: On 21st June Baacha Khan raised the “Pakhtoonistan” demand at Bannu famously called the “Bannu Resolution”.
1947: Baacha Khan attends a meeting with Ghandi, Mountbatten and Muhammad Ali Jinnah following which the Congress entrusted the task of referendum in N.W.F.P to Babacha Khan boycotted.
1947: On 22nd August, after the creation of Pakistan on 14 August, Dr. Khan Ministry was replaced illegally with Qayum Khan.
1947: On 3rd and 4th September Baacha Khan demanded for a new state “Pakhtoonostan” a unit of Pakistan.
1948: In early month Baacha Khan went to Karachi to attend the session of first constitution Assembly of Pakistan.
1948: On 23rd February Baacha Khan took the oath of allegiance to Pakistan.
1948: Addressed to the first legislative Assembly of Pakistan in Urdu on 5th March.
1948: In March Baacha Khan formed “Jamiat-ul-Awam” famously known as “Pakistan People Party” with the collaboration of G.M Sayed, Abdul Majeed Sindhi, Sheikh Hishamuddin and Abdul Samad Khan Achakzai famously known as the “Balouch Gandhi”. Baacha Khan was nominated unanimously as the president of the party.
1948: In mid April Jinah visit to NWFP. Baacha Khan welcomes Jinnah in frontier.
1948: In May Baacha Khan announced that his party joins the Muslim League where the right of individual liberty is not acknowledged.
1948: On May 13th Baacha Khan announced that his movement of Khudai Khidmatgar would extend to all the Provinces of Pakistan. This Khudai Khidmatgar movement would serve as a volunteer corps to the Pakistan People Party, a recently established by him.
1948: In May Baacha Khan returned to NWFP and starts his visit throughout the Province against the Government.
1948: After finishing the northern districts tour Baacha Khan want to start his visit in southern district. Before starting his tour he was arrested on June 15th and gives him three years rigorous imprisonment.
1948: on 12th August the Babara incident take place. During that time Baacha Khan was in prison.
1948: In mid September the Government of NWFP declare the Khudai Khidmatgar movement unlawful and their center at Sardaryab was attacked.
1950: In June his three years imprisonment was expired but his imprisonment was extended for six months many times under Bengal regulation 1818.
1952: In February his colleague and best friend, the former education minister in Dr. Khan ministry, Qazi Attaullah was died.
1952: In April Baacha Khan went through a serious operation in the Mayo Hospital Lahore.
1954: In January Baaha Khan with his imprisoned Khudai Khdamatgarans friends were released, but he was confined in Circuit house Rawalpindi.
1954: In March Baacha Khan was permitted to attend the Bengal session of the Pakistan parliament. He addressed to the parliament in Urdu in which he explain the causes on the base of which he was imprisoned.
1954: In September Baacha Khan opposed One-Unit system. On the issue of One-Unit he was disagree with his elder brother Dr. Khan Sahib, the Chief Minister western Unit of Pakistan.
1955: In July the Govt. lifting the bane on the entry of Baacha Khan in the Frontier Province.
1955: On September 16th Baacha Khan ended his frontier tour and then started his campaign in Baluchistan invited by Abdus Sa
mad Khan Achakzai, founder of “Pakhtoon brotherhood”.
1955: He was arrested in way to Baluchistan in September with two other companions and send to Mach Jail but release on 26th  September.
1956: On June 16th Baacha Khan and Abdus Samad Khan Achakzai was arrested at Shahi Bagh, Peshawar and Quetta respectively. Baacha Khan was alleged to the safety and territorial integrity of Pakistan, while abdus Samad Khan was arrested under public safety Act.
1956: On September 6th a trail of Baacha Khan was opened in the Lahore High Court of West Pakistan, under Justice Shabir Ahmad.
1956: On September 6th Baacha Khan submitted a 19 pages written statement to the court in which he writes about his all career. 
 1957: On 24th January the court give him rigorous punishment and to pay rupees 14,000/-. Baacha Khan refused from the fine due to which his property was confiscated.
1957: Baacha Khan was released.
1957: On January 27th Baacha Khan joined the Pakistan National Party which was merger of six opposition parties.
1957: The Chief Minister of West Pakistan, Dr. Khan Sahib was dismissed on July 7th.
1957: In July Baacha Khan, Maulana Bashani, G.M. Sayed and Mian Iftikharuddin formed National Awami Party in a conference at Dacca.
1958: Baacha Khan published a pamphlet titled Pukhtane au One-Unit (Pakhtoon and One-Unit) against the One-Unit system in West Pakistan.
1958: On 13th September Baacha Khan was arrested at Quetta for defying the district magistrate order of banning Baacha Khan entry in Baluchistan. He was arrested in Quetta and taken to Peshawar and release there.
1958: On October 11th Baacha Khan, Maulana Bhashani with eight prominent leaders of East Pakistan was arrested under Pakistan Safety Act. Abdus Samad Khan Achakzai was also arrested and sentenced fourteen years rigorous imprisonment.
1959: On 4th April Baacha Khan was released. He started tour of frontier Province. Baacha Khan and all other politician disqualified from any elective body until 1966 under EBDO (Elective bodies disqualification order).
1961: On 12th April Baacha Khan was arrested from D.I. Khan on his tour of southern side of Frontier Province under the maintenance of Public Order Ordinance.
1962: Amnesty International, a non political organization declared him “Prisoner of the year”.
1962: In December Amnesty International demanded for the release of Baacha Khan because government extended his imprisonment period for every six months.
1964: On 30th January Baacha Khan was released from Haripur Jail when his health was deteriorated alarmingly.
1964: On 27th May Jawahir Lal Nehru was died. Baacha Khan send deeply grieved telegram to his daughter.
1964: In September Baacha Khan was allowed by the Government to go to Great Britain for treatment. In London he met with Mr. Oleof Careo, the former governor general of NWFP.
1964: On 12th December Baacha Khan went to Afghanistan from United Kingdom.
1965: Baacha Khan attends the inauguration ceremony of ‘Pakhtoonistan day’ on 31st August in Pakhtoonistan square at Kabul.
1969: In May, the Indian awarded Baacha Khan with “Nehru peace award for 1969” for promotion international goodwill and understanding.
1969: In June, the Indian Prime Minister Mrs. Indra Gandhi visited Kabul where she met with Baacha Khan and presented him a copy of Holy Quran and some Indian Khadi (kadhar) cloths.
1969: Baacha Khan went to India via Berut (Lebnan) in September from Kabul.
1970: In February Baacha Khan came back to Afghanistan from India.
1972: On 24 December Baacha Khan was brought back to Pakistan after eight years exile by a Jirga. The Jirga comprised Abdul Wali Khan, Ajmal Khattak, Muhammad Afzal Khan, Maulana gul Badshah and Maulana Abdul Bari.
1975: On 2nd April a case was registered against Baacha Khan and he was detained on 13th April sent to Khanpur rest hose.
1976: On 27th August Baacha Khan was released.
1977: On 1st October general Zia-ul-Haq met with Baacha Khan on his tour to Peshawar.
1978: On 2nd March Baacha Khan left Pakistan for Afghanistan to compose his autobiography in Pushto “Zama Zhwand aau Jadd-o-Juhad” (My life and struggle).
1980: On 26th March Baacha Khan left Kabul for India for his medical check up.
1980: On July 18th Baacha Khan return to Kabul from India.
1980: On 31st August Baacha Khan left Kabul for USSR for his treatment.
1980: On 11th October Baacha Khan return to Kabul.
1981: On 13th February Baacha Khan fell ill.
1981: On 19th August Baacha Khan was called by Afghan President Babrak Karmal to discuss different matters.
1981: On 6th November left Kabul for India.
1982: Returned to Kabul from India on 1st January.
1982: On 3rd March Baacha Khan got injuries when he fell down from his bed in his room at Jalalabad, admitted in Hospital at Kabul.
1982: On 28th April Baacha Khan returned to Pakistan.
1983: Started a campaign against the proposed construction of Kalabagh Dam.
1983: Baacha Khan visit throughout the Frontier Province to mobilize the public opinion against the Government in the regarding construction of Kalabagh Dam.
1984: Baacha Khan was kept under hose arrest due to his anti-Kalabagh Dam opinion.
1984: On 1st April Baacha Khan went to Kabul for Medical treatment.
1984: On may 6th Baacha Khan return to Pakistan from Kabul.
1984: On 19th July Baacha Khan left for Kabul accompanied by Mr. and Mrs. Wali Khan and Muhammad Azam Khan of Mardan.
1984: On 29th September Baacha Khan returned to Pakistan.
1985:  All Indian National Congress invite Baacha Khan for the centenary celebration. Baacha Khan left Peshawar for India on 26th December accompanied by Wali Khan and his grandson Zulfiqar Ali Khan.
1986: On 4th January Baacha Khan returned to Peshawar.
1986: Baacha Khan addressed for the last time in Pakhtoonkhuwa on 19th April in World Pushto Conference.
1987: In May Baacha Khan fell ill seriously and admitted in the Lady reading Hospital Peshawar.
1987: On 4th June due to paralytic attack Baacha Khan was transferred to All India Medical Institute of Medical Science by the invitation of Indian government. Baacha Khan stayed there up to August 16th.
1987: In India Baacha Khan was awarded by greatest Indian Award “Baharat Raten”.
1987: Baacha Khan was brought back to Pakistan in August and admitted in Lady Reading Hospital for treatment.
1988: From August to 20th January Baacha Khan was remained in Coma. He breathed his last on 20th January at 6:35 A.M.
1988: His Namaz-i-Janaza was held on Thursday 21st January at 3:00 PM at Jinnah Park Peshawar.
1988: On 22nd January Baacha Khan was buried at Jalalabad in his own house according to his will.

1: D.G. Tendulkar, Faith is Battle.
2: Farid Ahmad, Khan Abdul Gaffar Khan.
3: Sher Zaman Taizai, Baacha Khan in Afghanistan.
4: Aap Bethi Abdul Gaffar Khan (Urdu)
5: Smt. Sheila Kaul, Khan Abdul GAffar Khan Congress Centenary.
6: Archives Original Document of Khan Abdul Gaffar Khan.
7: Eknat Esewarn, Badshah Khan.